To prepare for this discussion, please read Chapter 8 of your textbook. In addition, watch Jean Kilbourne: The dangerous ways ads see women (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. and Tough Guise: Violence, media & the crisis in masculinity (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. You must also find one scholarly article to inform your thinking (see instructions below). Finally, review Instructor Guidance and any relevant Announcements. In this discussion, you will consider the influence of social factors on individual mental processes and behavior. Be sure to use your own academic voice (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. and apply in-text citations (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. appropriately throughout your post.
- Watch Jean Kilbourne: The Dangerous Ways Ads See Women (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.(Jean Kilbourne, 2014), which examines the portrayal of women in advertising and the resulting effects on feminine identity, and Tough Guise: Violence, Media & the Crisis in Masculinity (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.(ChallengingMedia, 2006), which examines the portrayal of men in the media and the resulting effects on masculine identity.
- Locate a scholarly article examining a relevant phenomenon in relation to media and gender (e.g., when considering women in advertising, self-esteem, objectification, body shame, or perceptions of attractiveness might be particularly relevant; when considering men in the media, aggression might be particularly relevant; for both, attitudes and gender roles are relevant themes). See the recommended articles for this week for some options.
- Focus on women or men for your discussion, depending on the relevant phenomenon you considered in your research above. (You will address the opposite in your replies.).
- Examine the implications of media portrayals of women or men, given the videos you watched and the article you read. In your discussion, include the following:
- Explain how stereotypes, prejudice, and/or discrimination are impacted by media portrayals of women or men.
- Interpret the implications:
- How might the portrayal of gender impact behavior and/or mental processes? For example, does seeing scantily clad women or “macho” men have positive or negative effects on men? How does it affect women? Support your points with examples and/or credible evidence.
- Relate additional phenomena in American culture that that may be especially relevant to a discussion of social attitudes regarding gender.
- Give an example of an advertisement or media program (other than one presented in the required videos) that you believe might impact attitudes. Explain the relevance and point out specific elements that illustrate.
- Remember to use your own academic voice (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. and apply in-text citations (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. appropriately throughout your post.
Post your initial response of 250 words or more
"Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!"
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now