Identify the top three reasons for information systems project failure as described by Olson (2014).
ITEC 640 Information Technology Project Management
Paper , Order, or Assignment Requirements
A. True/False (4 point each) – Highlight your response
1. The question of What, Why and How can always be found in the Project Charter. True False
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
2. Poor requirements are often the major cause of a project failure True False
3. Just like the management theories, the logic theories are integral to effective project management True False
4. The core principles of Project Management are different from other disciplines True False
5. A project can be anything, and in fact, most everything that was at one time, a project. True False
B. Multiple Choices (5 points each) – Highlight true.
1. A Gantt Chart:
a) Does not the show the explicit relationship among tasks
b) Can be used for reporting projects’ progress
c) Can be used for Planning
d) All of the Above
2. A WBS can be developed using the following tools:
a) MS Project
b) Word and other Office Packages
c) Excel or any other Spreadsheet Software
d) Any of the above
e) Only a) and b)
3. The three features or attributes that distinguish between functional managers and project managers are:
a) Chain of Authority, Skill Sets Managed, and Established Relationships.
b) Management of professionals, Budget and Schedule
c) Stakeholders Relationships, Legal Authority, Project Social Environment
d) None of the Above
C. Short and Concise Questions.
1. Elaborate on three differences between management of operations and management of projects within an organization. Give a practical example to illustrate each of the three differences. (15 points)
a. Difference 1: i. Difference – ii. Example – b. Difference 2: i. Difference – ii. Example – c. Difference 3: i. Difference – ii. Example –
2. Compare and contrast the terms: goals, requirements, and deliverables as related to IT projects. Give a practical example of each term to illustrate the criteria for each definition. Be sure to indicate how each term differs from the others. (15 points)
3. Consider the use of four types of charts as applied to project management:
a. Milestone Chart
b. Flow Chart
c. Gantt Chart
d. Network Diagram
Describe the format or content of each type of chart and give a practical example of when and how each of the four types of chart would be used for an IT project. (17 points)
4. Identify the top three reasons for information systems project failure as described by Olson (2014). (6 points) a. Reason 1: b. Reason 2: c. Reason 3:
5. Provide at least one example of a typical situation related to each of the three reasons. (6 points) a. Reason 1: b. Reason 2: c. Reason 3:
6. Describe reasonable approaches a project manager can take to avoid or mitigate each of the three failure modes identified in part 1 of this topic. (6 points) a. Reason 1: b. Reason 2: c. Reason 3: