Standards assessed in the field experience:
InTASC: 1(a), 1(e), 2(a), 2(b), 2(g), 2(h), 3(a), 3(d), 3(e), 3(j),3(k), 9(l), 10(l)
ACEI: 1, 3.2, 3.4, 5.1, 5.2
Spend 5 hours observing and interviewing a certified teacher in grades 1-8 about the teacher’s classroom management plan, the school’s behavior expectations for students, the school’s behavior management program, and how these expectations are apparent across the campus and in the classroom.
Your interview questions and observation should probe:
- The type, number, and degree to which the expectations are stated in positive language and the rationales for these expectations.
- The forms and locations in which the expectations are posted on the school grounds and in the classroom.
- How expectations are initially taught, reinforced, and monitored school-wide and at the individual classroom level for students who start the academic year at the school site or later in the year.
- When differentiation is appropriate for teaching and reinforcing those expectations, including examples of that differentiation.
- How classroom and school-wide behavioral expectations are communicated to students and families.
- The teacher’s reflections on the overall degree of effectiveness of her or his classroom management plan.
- Recommendations for change of the classroom’s management plan based on personal experiences.
Ask additional questions as appropriate. Retain a copy of the questions asked and responses received.
After the interview and observations, complete the following tasks in 250-500 words:
- Summarize what you found from your interview and observations;
- Draw conclusions from your summary;
- Apply the conclusions you have drawn to your practices as a future educator.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin.
Document the hours and locations that you spend in the field on your Clinical Field Experience Verification Form.