Assignment 1: Discovering Emerging Technologies
Due Week 3 and worth 125 points
Refer to both the Overall Concept for Assignments 1-4 and Appendix: Lesson Scenarios of the Smaldino et al. textbook for guidance in describing the scenario required here.
Note: If you use situations at existing schools and / or companies in order to complete your assignments, do not include names or any other information that may serve to identify the entities that you reference.
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
- Analyze the educational setting into which you wish to introduce an emerging technology (i.e., K-12 or an adult learning environment). Next, discuss one (1) substantive manner in which the setting in question is deficient in at least three (3) characteristics that comprise meaningful learning.
- Describe the desired scenario into which you propose introducing an emerging technology. Identify the content you wish to address. Analyze the student population that you plan to address. Summarize the goal of the scenario in one (1) sentence (Note: Follow the examples provided in Appendix: Lesson Scenarios of the Smaldino et al. textbook).
- Analyze three (3) emerging technologies which are potentially compatible with the educational setting and the scenario that you had previously introduced. Discuss the attributes and features of each emerging technology, and demonstrate one (1) reason why each technology would be appropriate. Provide a rationale for your response.
- From the three (3) technologies discussed in Question 3, select one (1) emerging technology for the educational setting in question. Create an argument for the use of the selected technology within your designated learning environment.
- Provide at least three (3) sources that document detailed information about this emerging technology. The sources must be within the last five (5) years.
- Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
- Typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
- Include a reference page. Citations and references must follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze the characteristics of meaningful learning.
- Differentiate between learning from technology and learning with technology.
- Review current research related to emerging technologies for instruction and learning.
- Assess ways educators can use technologies to support learning.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in designing, developing, and evaluating educational technologies.
- Write clearly and concisely about issues in designing, developing, and evaluating educational technologies.