#1 blog Instructions
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security identifies seven departments and agencies that are sector-specific and are tasked to specifically protect the critical infrastructure from terrorist attacks within the United States.For this assignment, you will create a blog posting of at least 250 words to examine one of the agencies/departments outlined in the textbook. In order to complete the assignment, you will need to review the missions of the federal agencies under homeland security in the textbook on pp. 108â€“113.In your post, you will need to describe the mission and duties of the agency/department. Think about the following while you are preparing your post:
- In your opinion, is the agency/department successfully achieving its duties and mission to protect their designated critical infrastructure from a terrorist attack?
- What is the agency/department doing to protect their designated critical infrastructure?
- Do you have any recommendations for improvement?
Remember that the blog should be in a conversational format. Be sure to explain any technical terms considering this would be for the whole community to view, including those unfamiliar with homeland security terms and phrases.After your initial response, provide at least one comment to another student. Be sure to respond to everyone who comments on your blog. It is best to post your initial entry early so that you may participate frequent
Refer to pages 139-144 in the textbook. Since the September 11, 2001, terrorist attack, the role and responsibilities of law enforcement and intelligence agencies changed when they became members of the homeland security enterprise.
Conduct research in the CSU Online Library or locate other reliable resources connected with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security about a state or local law enforcement or intelligence agency, and address the following issues:
- Identify the agency/department.
- Describe the mission and duties of the agency/department.
- Analyze how the expanded efforts of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security enhanced the ability of local, state, and federal levels of law enforcement and intelligence agencies to protect and guard the country against a terrorist attack. Provide an example to support your position.
The essay should be a minimum of two pages in length, and it should contain a title page and reference page. The title and reference pages do not count toward meeting the minimum page requirement.
Format the paper using APA style. Write the essay in a formal writing style rather than a conversational writing style. Include two scholarly references, one of which can be the textbook. At least one source should be from the CSU Online Library since it is a valuable resource for homeland security information.
Review the information from the resources below, and answer the associated questions.
Part I: Cyberterrorism
Click the link below to view Segment 2 (â€œCyber-Terrorismâ€) of Cybercrime: World Wide War 3.0 in CSUâ€™s Films on Demand database.
Ways Press International (Producer). (2008). Cybercrime: World Wide War 3.0 [Video file]. Retrieved from https://libraryresources.columbiasouthern.edu/login?auth=CAS&url=http://fod.infobase.com/PortalPlaylists.aspx?wID=273866&xtid=40324&loid=65101
Note: The transcript for the aforementioned video segment is available to view and print by clicking on the â€œShow Transcriptâ€ tab on the right side of the video page.
After watching the video, address the questions below:
- What is cyberterrorism?
- What is the purpose of cyberterrorism?
- What are the advantages of cyberterrorism?
Part II: Federal Networks
Click the link below to review the following resource.
U.S. Department of Homeland Security. (n.d.). Securing federal networks. Retrieved from https://www.dhs.gov/topic/securing-federal-networks
After reviewing the resource, address the following issues:
- Describe the purpose of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to secure federal networks.
- What is the mission of the National Cyber Security Protection System (NCPS), and what capabilities does it provide to protect the federal government from a cyberterrorism attack?
- What is the Continuous Diagnostics and Mitigation (CDM) program, who does it benefit, and what capabilities does the program provide?
- What is the purpose of the Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA)?
Your assignment must be a minimum of three pages in length. Submit Part I and Part II in one document, but make certain to use headings to identify each part. You are required to use at least one outside source other than the textbook. All sources used, including the textbook and associated web links, must be referenced; paraphrased and quoted material must have accompanying APA citations. All sources must be cited in APA format on a separate reference page. The reference page does not count toward meeting the minimum page requirement.
In this assignment, you will be writing a research paper on a domestic terrorist incident that has occurred in the United States.
In Unit I, you were asked to research a domestic terrorist incident in order to complete the following evaluation:
- Identify the conventional or unconventional hazard type.
- Analyze the U.S. Department of Homeland Security documents that were utilized to implement the planning and response efforts.
- Discuss how these documents were used to facilitate the response efforts.
- Evaluate if the response agencies successfully responded to the incident. Support your answer with examples.
A minimum of five scholarly references are required in addition to the textbook. You may use the same five scholarly sources that were identified in your Unit II Annotated Bibliography, or you may include additional ones as long as a minimum of five scholarly sources are listed, which support the topic and research paper.
The research paper should include a title page, body (five pages), and a reference page. Use headings to label each section of your paper. The title page and reference page do not count toward meeting the minimum page requirement. You must use APA style for in-text citations and references.
Chapter 13 of the textbook states that the future trends of terrorism in the 21st century will focus on the United States as one of the primary targets for both domestic and international terrorist groups. The terrorists are constantly developing new weapons and operating from a stateless environment that consists of cells and sleeper agents located throughout the world.
Conduct research using the CSU Online Library or other literary resource(s) on a domestic or international terrorist group. After doing so, complete Parts I and II below.
Part I: Terrorist Profile
Critique a profile of a terrorist group that identifies their ideology, location, weapons, past targets, and rationale. Be brief but specific.
Part II: Theoretical Model
As a member of the homeland security enterprise at either the local, state, or federal level, use the information from the terrorist profile in Part I to develop a theoretical model that will be used to upgrade the current homeland security policy and procedures for your city to prevent a terrorist attack. Identify and describe the following counterterrorism measures for your model.
- Identify the physical threat.
- Identify the organizational resources.
- Describe the operational capabilities of the organizational resources.
- Describe the tiered collaboration of the organizational resources.
- Will this theoretical model further assist in developing threat scenarios to prepare and mitigate a terrorist attack?
The essay should be two to three pages in length, and make certain to include a title page and reference page. The title and reference pages do not count toward meeting the minimum page requirement. Format the paper in APA style, and write the essay in a formal writing style rather than a conversational writing style. Include three scholarly references, one of which can be the textbook. At least one source should be from the CSU Online Library since it is a valuable resource for homeland security information.